Play, pause, talk BNC session video!
Join Tom and Olivia for this week's session. In this video, we'll walk you through each activity, give examples and hints, and then ask you to pause and complete the activities in your own time. Check it out!
Scroll down for all of the activities from this session.
Use the time this week to complete your information pull-outs. When you have finished, make sure you upload it as a FINAL PIECE. Check out posts from other BNC members. You could ask yourself: what ideas from this could I combine with my own top tips to improve my work?
CHALLENGE: could you write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper to convince them to publish your pull-out? Write it in the comments section below your post!
Have a go at these reflection questions:
- How did you use each of the news-literacy skills during this Issue: speaking, listening, problem-solving and creativity?
- Which of these skills is the most important for navigating the news? Why?
- Where have you seen examples of these skills in the news about covid-19 vaccines?
- What are the most important points to communicate about the covid-19 infodemic?
- What different perspectives have you considered in this Issue?
- What would the consequences be if nobody learnt news-literacy skills?
- What could you do to help other people you know practise our news-literacy skills?
- What have you learned about numbers in the news?
- How can statistics help us? How can they confuse us?
Want to take your conversation further? Take a look at the question cards below. You can pick some of these and try to answer them about the infodemic (the questions start off easy and get harder as your work through them!)
Over to you!
Head to the comments section below to share some of your thoughts on the activities and see what club members in other schools think.