How to respond
What’s the best way to respond to extreme-weather events?
Read the below list of responses.
Sort the responses into three groups:
- Actions to do now
- Actions to do in two month’s time
- Actions to do in the next year or two
Can you give reasons for your choices?
Sort the responses into two groups:
- Actions that happen before an event (preventative)
- Actions that happen after an event (reactive)
- Choose which actions would save lives
- Choose which actions are to do with the economy (money and business)
- Choose which actions would reduce climate change
- How else could you divide or group the actions?
Solve a situation
Read the four situations or scroll down and click on the links to listen to them.
Choose one that you would like to plan a response to.
You must decide how to respond and present a plan. You should use the list of responses above to help.
Your presentation should be three minutes long and should include:
- A maximum of four actions from the last activity
- One action that you think is important, that isn't on the list
- An explanation of why your actions are suitable for your situation
Compare your response
Choose a different situation. How would you respond differently in that situation and why? For example: in one situation, it might be important to evacuate people from an area, whereas it might not be so important in a different situation.
Over to you!
Head to the comments section below to share some of your answers and discuss these activities with people from different schools. Please don't "write post" - we'd like to see you answers on this page!