- Look out of the window. What’s the weather like today?
- What’s the most extreme weather you have ever experienced? What was it like?
Read this, or press play to hear the text read aloud.
Look at these photos. For each pair of photos (flood A and B, wilfire A and B etc.), discuss, or think about, these questions.
- What are the similarities between the photos?
- What are the differences between the photos?
- Who will be affected by these events and how?
Understand the keywords
Can you define each of these keywords?
HURRICANE | HEATWAVE | DROUGHT | WILDFIRE | FLOOD | RESPONSE | EXTREME
Can you make up a sound for each keyword?
Look at these fictional newspapers
- How is the newspaper portraying the weather here? Can you describe the photos?
- How do you feel about the photos?
- Who might NOT like the way the newspaper is representing this weather event? For example: would a climate-change activist approve of this?
- How should newspapers report on extreme-weather events? Why?
Over to you!
Head to the comments section below to share some of your answers and discuss these activities with people from different schools.