My Extreme Weather Speech

Extreme Weather is when the weather is different from the usual weather pattern. We can state as an example : hurricanes, storms, heat waves, drought, flooding etc.

I live in Sousse, Tunisia, and we experienced some types of extreme weather, especially floods which occur approximately every autumn since 3 years now. A house was even destroyed and we count 1 death and 4 injured. But we also had to face recently, May the 14th, a huge fire that broke out at a tissue paper factory in the delegation of Enfidha. It took 8 hours to contain the fire and limit its propagation.

And according to the Civil Protection, 723 fires happenned from the beginning of May, all across the country but fortunately, no deaths were reported.

The extreme weather is heavily impacted by the climate change because according to many statistics, 69% of the 355 extreme weather events were found to be made more likely or more severe by human-caused climate change and 9% of events or trends were made less likely or less severe by climate change, meaning 78% of all events experienced some human impact. The remaining 22% of events and trends showed no discernible human influence or were inconclusive. So, in my opinion, we have to find solutions to climate change if we want to limit extreme weather.

Therefore, we have to limit pollution and change our lifestyles. We can limit transportation, which is considered as the second leading source of greenhouse gas emissions in the U.S. Then, we have to consume less because it directly results in fewer fossil fuels being burned to extract, produce and ship products around the globe. We could also try to stop cutting down trees because every year, 33 million acres of forests are cut down. Timber harvesting in the tropics alone contributes 1.5 billion metric tons of carbon to the atmosphere. That represents 20 percent of human-made greenhouse gas emissions and a source that could be avoided relatively easily.

But, there are also barriers that make that take a longer time than expected such as transaction costs, behavioural obstacles to adaptation which includes all behavioural issues that lead to irrational decisions, uncertainty which represents, to my mind, one of the largest barriers to adaptation since it is expands into different dimensions: future developments of demographics, technologies and economics, and future climate change. But we can state a lot more like : political economy, market failures and missing markets, etc.

Then, governments play a major role in the combat against extreme weather, and I think that they mustn't be passive while people are suffering from natural disasters. They should focus on preventative reactions because that can limit the impact of the disaster so we'll have less deaths, less houses destructed, and therefore, spend less money to repair the damages. Then, I think that governments should put money aside and create a budget to help the families affected by the extreme weather, they could also use that money to hire specialists and scientists to help in preventing the next regions that the extreme weather will impact. Then, they just have to evacuate that region.

World leaders also have a role because their opinions and advice are taken in consideration so they can help to raise the awareness of people if they fight for the right cause.

Extreme Weather events are hapenning more frequently and they're more and more destructive so, if we want to save lives, we must act fast to prevent its damages.

I think that if we take precautions, if we limit pollution and if we help each other, we make a world for the next generations where they will live peacefully and without problems, they will not have to worry about their security and they will enjoy nature as it is, without fear.

Comments (4)

You must be logged in to post a comment