Hello! I am selfassured_journalist and this post is about which is more important to deal with: Covid or climate change?
First we need to look at the facts.
- Covid 19 is a virus which is thought to have originated in Wuhan, China.
- Many people have died from it and more are diagnosed with it.
- It is quite like flu: your temperature goes up, you get a hacking, continuous cough and things taste and smell different. However, Covid is contagious and can be deadly.
- It started in 2019, which is where it gets it name from : Covid 19.
- There are now vaccines. The reccomended ones are Janssen, Pfizer and Moderna.
- Many people globally are receiving the vaccine
These are a few of the facts about Covid 19. So what about the environment?
About climate change:
- Greenhouse gasses are gasses which keep heat enclosed in the air. This causes the temperature to rise up, meaning climate change.
- Without greenhouse gasses, our world would be freezing and would be declared unsuitable for habitation. This means we wouldn't be able to live on the planet. However, we need to control the gas and keep the planet at a safe temperature.
- 1 degree celsius it has risen up so 1 degree celsius it must go down. A degree may be insignificant to your daily life but you would be astonished at the amount of negative impact it has on the environment.
- Iceburgs and glaciers are melting due to the heat in the air. This leaves many animals such as seals without homes. This also is a threat to those who fully depend on the iceburgs to provide them with sanitary water.
- Cutting down trees makes carbon dioxide enter the air. Did you know that trees need carbon dioxide to grow? It stores it in its trunk and keeps the tree healthy. When a tree is cut down, the gas leaks into the air.
- People are likely to find it tricky to change their lives to suit the bad changes we are burdening ourselves with. Imagine a boiling winter. Could you easily adapt to that? What about having to evacuate your home because of possible floods due to water level rising? I definetly couldn't.
Now we know a bit about the two problems. I shall compare a few of them. Covid is killing many people and if our planet is too hot or too cold we will have to leave it. I personally think although death is a sad loss and a lot of it happening all at once causes disturbances to our wellbeing, having to leave a planet where hundreds of generations have lived on and thrived on would be a bigger loss. Without the properties which make the Earth a suitable home, we would not even exist. If you disagree with me, I would be interested to hear your thoughts in the comments.
The fact that there are vaccines that work is easily a positive thought. That is why it is beaten by the fact that if glaciers and ice floes melt, animals and humans could suffer losses. If animals become extinct, a group of explorers will have to check. Embaring on a treacherous journey, they face many difficulties going and coming back. We risk loss of brave people who are determined in achievement! These people make excellent role models. About the clean water, what if an entire town is wiped out due to no clean water?
The last problems I shall mention are Covid has stopped education ( I'm afraid that I didn't put the fact up there but I thought we could look at it) and that the weather has increased by a degree. You are probably thinking that Covid is outruling the climate change in this case but remember, this tiny degree celsius is all it takes to get the problems mentioned in the last paragraph started. However, the education of young people is very, very important. Without learning, you cannot get into good colleges and without good colleges, you will find it tricky to get a job! Without a job, you have no money! Without money, you will not have food to eat! In this case, I do think Covid is the more troublesome of the two. Education changes your life!
Looking at the results, I think climate change is the more important of the two. However, not everyone will think so. What do you think?
Thanks for reading,