The corona virus is an acute respiratory infection that was first realised in Wuhan,china. This later became a pandemic due to its high rate of spread world wide.This has greatly caused a huge socio-economic disruption which directly or indirectly affected the environment both negatively and positively
- Improvememt in the water quality,during this period of the pandemic,countries resorted to lockdown to reduce on the level of spread,this also made the operation of major industries to shrink which helped to reduce the load of pollution e.g the holiest river Ganga in India has been one of thhe world's polluted rivers but during the lockdown, there has been a 40-50 % improvement in the water quality as per the real time water analysis of central pollution board of india.
- Reduction of noise pollution;noise pollution is the elevated high levels of sound,generated from differrent human activities e.g machines, vehicles, construction work etc which may lead to adverse effects in humans and other living organisms.However the lockdown and quarantine mandatory meassures that people stay at home and reduced economic activities and communication worldwide;which ultimately reduced the noise levels in most towns and cities of the world.
- Reduction of air pollution and green house gas emmissions;as industries companies and transportation were put down during the lockdown,this greatly led to less emission of pollutants and less use fuels
- increase in biochemical waste generation.since the outbreak of covid there has been a great increase in the nedical wastes which is a threat to the human health and the environment; for saple collections of the suspected patients, diagnosis, treatment of huge number of covid patients and disinfection purposes, therefore alot of infectious biochemical wastes are generated from hospitals.
- increase in safety equipment use and harphazard disposal.to protect from the viral infection,presently people are using face masks, hand gloves, face shields which increase heathcare plastic wastes since some people do dispose them in open places and with household wastes which may cause blockage in water ways and worsen environmental pollution
- ecological imbalance; to reduce its rate of spread, there has been extensive disinfections applied on roads and residential areas which may kill non-targeted beneficial organisms, which may cause economic imbalance
The covid-19 pandemic has really been majorly of great positive value to the environment aside the negativity