Imagine each of these scenarios:
- An activist unhappy about climate change
- A parent who has had a new baby
- A government trying to encourage hand washing
- A teenager excited about a new romantic relationship
For each scenario, decide what type of art you would make to express yourself. For example, for number 1. I might make a large poster to hold during a protest. Think about the materials you would use. Remember you can use a range of different art forms
Art can have an impact on society. Have a read of these three different examples that show you how.
Read through these situations.
For each situation, decide which of the three types of art (dissident, propaganda, feminist) you would create in that situation.
- Can you say why the type of art is suited to the situation?
- What are the risks with creating art in that situation?
- Who would not like the art they are creating? Why?
- What might the consequences be?
These are only three examples of how art can influence society, can you think of others?
Take part in the poll below. Be sure to give reasons for your decisions.
Be open-minded and challenge your thinking... what would the person on the opposite side of the debate say?
Over to you!
Head to the comments section below to share some of your answers and discuss these activities with people from different schools.