Welcome to the Burnet News Club Hub!
This is your first session post. A session post contains most of the same activities and discussion questions that you'll take part in each week at school. If you a miss a session, you can catch up here! Or, if you would like to share the ideas that you heard in the classroom, you can head to the comments section below.
Ask a member of your household to think of their three favourite foods and tell you what they are. Afterwards, tell them whether you agree or disagree on them and why. Then discuss your other favourite things, such as animals, sports, countries to visit etc. Each time, try to explain why something is your favourite and why you like it.
- How similar or different were your opinions?
- If you both liked the same thing, what were your reasons for liking it? Were they the same?
In the Burnet News Club you will have differences and similarities with everybody. Sometimes, we'll have the same opinion about something but our reasons for our opinion might be very different. For example, your favourite sport might be basketball because you like playing on a team, whereas my favourite sport might be basketball because I'm very good at it. Our experiences give us a unique voice. In the BNC, we always consider different opinions on an issue and everyone's unique voice is important - we should respect the differences that have led to these.
- With this in mind. What rules would you create for the Burnet News Club?
- What is the news?
Watch this video and afterwards, answer the questions.
- Where do you find the news?
- What makes something hit the headlines?
- Is all news equally important?
- The way we receive news has changed. How?
- What are some of the challenges with the news today?
- Do you agree that “no news is good news”?
- What’s the best place to find the news? What’s the worst place?
You'll be sharing your views here on the Hub. Watch this video for some top tips.
Are the following statements true or false?
- You can write about anything at all on the Hub
- There’s a leaderboard for when you show the BNC skills
- You should be writing a lot more comments than posts
- You can use real names on the Hub
- There are loads of opportunities to gain rewards
Watch the video again to check your answers!
Over to you!
Head to the comments section below to share some of your thoughts on the activities and see what club members in other schools think. As it's week one, why not browse the homepage and see what else you can find?